The name Wooloowin is though to derive from a local aboriginal dialect for “pigeon “or “running water” or “fish” “Kalinga” was named by early German missionaries after a stream in the Middle East. Wooloowin has always been a sprawling suburban area encompassing 1.1 KM in radius and the local area of Kalinga, the home of Judge Lutioyche, first Judge of the Supreme Court in QLD.
The main subdivisions of rural holdings (pineapple, bananas and mango farms) occurred in the 1880s as public transport became much improved – particularly the extension of the Northern Railway to Wooloowin in 1882. Development of tramways in the 1890 also caused further settlement, and schools inevitably followed with the first High School – Kedron High School established in 1956.
In 1885, an Act of Parliament set a minimum size block in Brisbane at 16 perches (405 sqm) and roads and lanes were also given minimum dimensions. This explains the very different look that Brisbane has to some of the State Capitals in southern Australia. Detached houses and large blocks reduced the hazards if fire and diseases by overcrowding, especially when wood was favoured as the main building material in the late 19th century. This has given Wooloowin its suburb and character, which can be seen in the remaining colonial and federation style houses. Since the 1970s, increasing numbers of flats and home units have also been built, thus catering for about 6000 population of diverse age and background, who enjoy the convenience of Wooloowin’s location, proximity to the city and to local sporting, shopping, educational, hospital and social facilities.
Mornington House here at 45 Lisson Grove was built as a “town house” in 1888, and was used by a number of the Upper House, a Mr Frederick Lord as a town residence whilst attending parliament in the 1890s. Its style is colonial, incorporating wide verandas, with iron lace railings, large sash windows and high stumps to facilitate ventilation. The verandas originally surrounded all 4 sides of the house, but for the kitchen area, and stables were along the back fence.